Thursday 31 October 2013

Heated Passion






I really enjoyed playing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. First of all it made me realise how bad Oblivion actually was and how good Morrowind actually was. Skyrim reminded me of the joy and wonderment I felt when I first played Morrowind all those many, many years ago. Also, in a world full of MMORPGs it is a single player experience. Yes, I have drooled over Final Fantasy XI and Guild Wars 2 but my heart just sinks at the realisation I can't play it alone, by myself. It might be a personal preference. So I enjoyed and loved playing Skyrim. I really liked the way the character develops based on how you actually play the game. My character is a fairly shit-hot archer and a fairly good spell caster. My favourite spell? Summon Fire Atronach! I don't like one on one combat. I like sneaking around shooting arrows into the backs of people's (do Falmer count as people?) heads. Sometimes it is unavoidable so my solution. Sneak around and summon a Fire Atronach to lay into them instead. She has got me out of a multitude of scrapes and I absolutely love her. To repay my love, it is only fair to do a homage to her and her pyrotechnic ways.

Actually accomplishing this task was surprising difficult. This final piece is my fourth attempt to get it right. The first two attempts were technically good, but the poses I chose just looked wrong. The less said about the third attempt the better. Rather than be totally discouraged I decided to tackle it from a completely different angle. I decided to do something that gave my darling Atronach some character. Also I moved away from the idea of having a solid black background, which was a more inspiring move as I love the background in this work.

The Elder Scrolls, Skyrim and (no doubt) Fire Atronach are probably copyright of Bethesda Softworks.

No comments:

Post a Comment